Upcoming Meetings and Events

The next Ohio IX Board of Directors meeting is scheduled for Friday, December 14th, 2018 at 2:30pm at NetGain: 8235 Estates Pkwy, Plain City, OH 43064. This meeting will be followed by our holiday party. Location is TBD.

November 2018 Ohio IX Meeting

November 9, 2018 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees:  Doug Payauys, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Luke Skidmore, Kim Gerhart,  Paul Schopis, Marijan Adam, Greg Dunn, Tim Berelsman, Chris Cameron

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved.

Membership – No new applications

Treasurer’s Report

CTO – HNB traffic will start after internal freeze in January.  Jeff Orr stated he would be willing to help with the IX if we needed.  Cologix is working to shift traffic to new routers and won’t need copper connection anymore.

Marketing Committee – Brent talked to Amplex and Buckeye Cable.  We sent out a survey to see who members were interested in connecting to.  We have received 5 responses so far.

Governance – No report

Director Agreements and Conflict of Interest – We are using the same documents.  The conflict of interest forms were handed out to those at the meeting and Nancy will send out to those members that were not here.  Board of Director Agreements will be sent to new Board members.

Old / New Business –  

Remote Switch Operator Addendum – Tim reviewed the document and sent it to Doug, Brent, Nancy, Marijan and Kim to review.  They are setting up a follow up call to discuss and provide final recommendations.

Greg Miller is no longer with CentraComm.  We accepted his resignation since he is no longer with the company.  Jason Pontious from CentraComm was suggested to fill that open position.  The Board moved and approved Jason for the open position.

There was a discussion how the Detroit IX allowing schools to join their IX opened up content providers to want to be part of the Exchange.  It might be something to consider here.  We also discussed how OARnet can share some traffic through the Ohio IX.  Netflix may make the most sense initially.  We are interested in getting content and noted that Facebook is going to have a data center in Columbus.  It would make sense to reach out to them.

Next meeting – December 14th – 2:30 at NetGain 8235 Estates Pkwy, Plain City.  We will have a quick meeting and then go for a drink after to celebrate the holiday and a good year.

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

October 2018 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees:  Doug Payauys, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Luke Skidmore, Kim Gerhart, Greg Miller,  Phil Maag, Paul Schopis, Marijan Adam, Greg Dunn, Tim Berelsman, Chris Cameron

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved.

Membership – An application was received Rack Squared for Senior Membership.  This was voted on and approved.  Kim will send out an invoice.  No Associate Memberships at this time.

Treasurer’s Report

CTO – No traffic from Huntington yet.  Marijan will reach out if no traffic soon.  We had to renew our domains and completed it for multiple years.  Marijan will set up a link in Google Docs to track who we want to go after (who would like to peer with).

We currently have an aggregate usage on the exchange at 300Mg and have spiked as high as 600 Mg.

We discussed putting together a best practice document.  We should have something to refer to.  Marijan will put something together and work with Brent and Luke to review.  We will check with what AMS uses.

Marketing Committee

Governance – No report

Director Agreements and Conflict of Interest – Nancy is still waiting on Tim to review the existing documents and determine if any changes need to be make.  Tim will work on this for next meeting.

Old / New Business –  

Remote Switch Operator Addendum – We discussed how MICE goes through a process to approve remote switch operators.  To be a remote switch operator, you must be a senior member.  We need to clarify that operators are not making money off of the IX.  Tim will get the committee together for a final review of the contract so we can move forward.

High value targets – discussed what accounts we want to go after.  We talked about how we could connect with Megaport.  We will work on a survey to send to members as to what high level targets would benefit them.

Next meeting – November 9th – 9:30 at NetGain 8235 Estates Pkwy, Plain City

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

September 2018 Ohio IX Meeting

September 7, 2018 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees:  Doug Payauys, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Luke Skidmore, , Kim Gerhart, Greg Miller, Brian Riley, Phil Maag, Paul Schopis, Marijan Adam

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved.

Membership – An application was received for Washington Electric for Associate Membership.  This was voted on and approved.  Kim will send out an invoice.  No Senior Memberships at this time.

Treasurer’s Report

CTO – Huntington turned up the port and need to start peering, which should be soon.  Cologix may not need the copper connection to the IX anymore as they are converting all their traffic to the new switches.  There isn’t anything new on the IPv6, Marijan needs to schedule some time with Brent to look at it further.

Marketing Committee – Kim fixed the auto response on the Associate Member online application.  We need some type of notice to go out to let them know they have been approved and will be getting an invoice.

Governance – No report

Director Agreements and Conflict of Interest – Nancy is still waiting on Tim to review the existing documents and determine if any changes need to be make.

Old / New Business –  

Remote Switch Operator Addendum – We discussed the remote switch agreement that Greg Dunn provided.  There are no rules/limitations noted in writing for approved traffic.  We need to make sure there is no conflict with this agreement.  We discussed what was needed to bring remote users online and what the timeline would be.  There is no cost from user to IX ($500 cost to the operator).  Brent suggested a connection fee and/or should give information on who is connecting.   We decided that everyone should look at the document and make comments to the Google Drive in the next week.  MICE’s site lists the remote switch operators and users.  We think we should do the same.

Establish 3 Person Working Group to finalize with Ice Miller – Brent Beatty, Marijan Adam and Tim Berelsman were chosen to be in this group.

Next meeting – October 12 – 9:30 at NetGain 8235 Estates Pkwy, Plain City

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

August 2018 Ohio IX Meeting Minutes

August 3, 2018

Attendees:  Tim Berelsman, Doug Payauys, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Luke Skidmore, Greg Dunn, Kim Gerhart, Chris Cameron, Greg Miller, Steve Steele, Phil Maag, Paul Schopis, Marijan Adam

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved.

Membership – No new applications at this time for Senior or Associate Membership

Treasurer’s Report

CTO – We are still waiting for Huntington to turn up their circuit.  In talks with them, they should be turning it up shortly.  Marijan will reach out to them to make sure they have what they need.  The levels are improving.  There is no usage on the copper connection for Cologix.  Marijan will touch base with Cologix on that as well.  We discussed the IPv6 issues.  Marijan is working on it but Bresco is the only one trying to use it at this point.   Once we get the issue resolved, we will reach out to HE since they normally use IPv6 as well.

Marketing Committee – Brent talked to WeConnect about joining.  They are interested in using the remote switch from Bresco when that is available.  A question came up about budget for shows and events.  We are always open to suggestions and also noted that (since we all have other jobs), that if anyone is going to a show, it would be appreciated if they promoted the IX while they are there.  It is hard for most of us to travel to do shows that we aren’t already attending.  We started sending notifications to all members that minutes have been posted to the website to improve communications with our members.

Governance – We discussed the remote switch agreement that Greg Dunn provided.  Some modifications were suggested and Tim will review with Greg and he will re-draft the document.  After many suggestions, it was recommended by Greg to get a basic agreement in place and go from there.

Tim is reviewing the Board of Directors agreement and Conflict of Interest forms.  Nancy will send the Board of Directors agreement out to new board members and the Conflict of Interest form to all Board Member to update once Tim has reviewed them.

Old / New Business –  

There was a discussion on Content Providers using the Exchange.

Next meeting – August 7 – 9:30 at NetGain 8235 Estates Pkwy, Plain City

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

July 2018 Ohio IX Meeting Minutes

July 13th, 2018 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees:  Tim Berelsman, Doug Payauys, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Luke Skidmore, Greg Dunn, Kim Gerhart, Chris Cameron, Greg Miller, Brian Riley

Roll call and Approval of Agenda – Completed

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved.

Membership – No new applications at this time for Senior or Associate Membership

Treasurer’s Report

CTO – Huntington is up on our side.  There isn’t any traffic yet, but they should be turned up on their side shortly.  We do not have an update on the IPv6 connectivity issue, Marijan will need to update.  We are still waiting on Everstream to turn up on their side.

Marketing Committee – Brent is trying to work with WOW.  He is trying to set up a call with the person that handles the peering but it has been delayed.  We need to alert all members when meetings are available.  Nancy will send once Kim has posted to the website.  Checked to see if we want a table to Connect Columbus this year.

Governance – Greg sent the remote switch agreement to Tim.  He will review and bring up at the next meeting.  We have people waiting to connect.

Director Agreements – Nancy will send out the Board of Director Agreements to Chris Cameron, Greg Miller and Phil Maag.  She will send the Conflict of Interest Forms to everyone on the Board.

Old / New Business –  

Phil Maag has offered to join our Board to fill the vacant seat.  This was moved and approved.

New Director Agreements – We need the Board to sign new Director Agreements and Conflict of Interest Forms.  Tim is going to review with Shelby before sending out to the group.

Next meeting – August 3 – 9:30 at NetGain 8235 Estates Pkwy, Plain City

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

May 2018 Ohio IX Annual Meeting Minutes

Attendees:  Tim Berelsman, Doug Payauys by proxy, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Luke Skidmore, Marijan Adam,  Greg Dunn, Kim Gerhart (joined after Treasurer report), Lynn Child, Paul Schopis, Preston Myer by proxy, Phil Maag, Ryan Hetrick, Chris Cameron

Opening of Meeting was completed by Tim Berelsman

Roll Call – Completed by Nancy Tiemeier

Declaration of Meeting Validity – It was concluded that we have a forum with over 50% of the membership represented at this meeting.

Secretary Report – The minutes were approved from the previous Annual Meeting.

Treasurer’s Report – Financials approved.

Chairman’s Report – Initial Senior member membership is $3150 and Associate membership is $500.  Annual fees going forward will be decided yearly.

New members:  Huntington National Bank, Involta, City of Medina, Accent Communications

Ice Miller is working on a remote switch agreement.  Bresco and IFN have shown interest in setting one up.  In the budget, we  planned for 6 remote switch members.  We have 2 in 2018.  They will exchange traffic on a royalty basis.  When using for transit, use at your own discretion, Ohio IX has no liability.  Can do active peering with remote switch operators.

At the second annual meeting, we must elect successors to the Board.  The bylaws state there will be 7 to 11 board members.  Since this is an all-volunteer organization, we are recommending 11 members, 10 senior and 1 associate.

Tim Berelsman will abstain from voting and will run the election.

Election of Directors – The Motion to Establish the Successor Board Size of 11 Directors was passed.  10 Members will be from the Senior Membership and 1 position will be from the Associate Membership.  There was a motion to elect the Successor Member Directors in 3 Groups:

Term expiring at the Annual Meeting 2019:

Initial Board Seat held by Tim Berelsman of Independent Fiber Network

Initial Board Seat held by Paul Schopis of OARnet

Initial Board Seat held by Steve Steele of Horizon

 

Term expiring at the Annual Meeting 2020:

Initial Board Seat held by Brent Beatty of Bresco Broadband

Initial Board Seat held by Nancy Tiemeier of Cologix

Initial Board Seat held by Lynn Child of CentraComm will now be held by Jack Wellman from

Centracomm

Initial Board Seat held by Luke Skidmore of NetGain

 

Term expiring at the Annual Meeting 2021:

Initial Board Seat held by Kim Gerhart of OneIT

Initial Board Seat held by Doug Payauys of Consolidated Electric Cooperative

Initial Board Seat left open with the resignation of Brad Scott.  This seat is filled by Pat Roger at

Involta

 

Term expiring at the Annual meeting 2021:

Initial Board Seat held by Greg Dunn of Ice Miller who will not be a member, but will continue to donate general legal counsel services.  This seat will be filled by Chris Cameron from Accent

Communications.

 

Motion Approved

Board Members- Paul Schopis proposed that we keep the same board members for the positions of President, Vice President and Secretary.

President – Tim Berelsman

Vice President – Doug Payauys

Secretary – Nancy Tiemeier

Kim Gerhart was nominated for Treasurer.  This was voted on and approved.

We moved to approve the minutes from the last meetings minutes in June.

Next Board meeting – June 7th at NetGain at 9:30.  (Meeting has since been moved to June 15th at 9:30)

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

April 2018 Ohio IX Meeting Minutes

April 6, 2018 Ohio IX Meeting

Attendees:  Tim Berelsman, Doug Payauys, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Luke Skidmore, Marijan Adam,  Shelby Anderson, Kim Gerhart, Lynn Child, Jack Wellman, Paul Schopis

Membership Applications –  Received applications from Huntington and Involta.  Both were approved and invoices are being sent.

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved.

Annual Meeting Follow up – Invitations have been sent to members.  We have also reached out to some prospective meetings to invite them to lunch.  We are set for the meeting at Ice Miller at 10:30 on the 13th.  Tim will send out the agenda.  We are having lunch at Nada after the meeting.  Nancy will make reservations.

Treasurer’s Report

CTO Report

Marketing Committee Report

Governance – No updates at this time.

Old / New Business –  We discussed election terms for Board of Directors and when each term will end.  We don’t want everyone’s term to end at the same time so they are divided out to end in 2019 (3 people), 2020 (4 people) and 2021 (3 people).  Those will be voted on at the Annual Meeting.

Next meeting – April 13th – Annual Meeting at Ice Miller.

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier

2018 Membership Meeting

The 2018 Ohio IX, Inc. Annual Member Meeting will be Friday, April 13th, 2018 at 10:30am. The meeting will take place at Ice Miller, LLP located at 250 West St., 7th floor conference room, Columbus, OH.  Members have received full meeting details, including an agenda, in an Email on 4/6/18 at 7:15am from Tim Berelsman.

A luncheon will be served following the meeting. Please notify Ohio IX by Email to Secretary, Nancy Tiemeier. nancy.tiemeier@cologix.com.  The RSVP needs to be submitted no later than April 12, 2018, 5:00 PM with the number of persons who will be attending the meeting and the luncheon.

 

March 2018 Ohio IX Meeting Minutes

Attendees:  Tim Berelsman, Doug Payauys, Nancy Tiemeier, Brent Beatty, Luke Skidmore, Marijan Adam,  Shelby Anderson, Brian Riley, Greg Dunn, Lynn Child, Brian Riley

Membership Applications

Secretary Report – Minutes Approved.

Annual Meeting Follow up – Tim will send invites.  We need to elect permanent directors.  Tim will work with Doug on the budget.  We are going to start the meeting at 10:30 on April 13th and can invite interested parties to lunch.  We still need someone to take over the Treasurer position.

Prior Meeting Follow up – We need to reschedule a call with MICE.  Check with him for March 9th at 10:30.

Treasurer’s Report

CTO

Question came up if we want to extend remote switches. We will need to set up a policy statement.

Marketing Committee

Governance – No updates at this time.

Old / New Business –  No updates

Next meeting – April 6, at NetGain at 9:30 – 8235 Estates Pkwy.

Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully submitted by Nancy Tiemeier